“Faith” Q&A Part 4
Song Ji-na’s “Faith” Q&A Part 4
Part 1 here.
Part 2 here.
Part 3 here.
48. Where did Manbo ahjusshi go?
Writer Song replied, “ㅜㅜ In the middle he said couldn’t continue because of personal reasons.”
49. Were there any aspects of Choi Young’s role or character that Lee Min-ho personally asked you about or discussed with you?
Writer Song replied, “Before filming started, we met a couple of times to talk about the character. Because at that point about 6-8 scripts were out already, we discussed the dialogue in detail and went over the movements. We started filming after I adjusted Choi Young’s parts to fit the actor.
50. Did Eun-soo really believe that Choi Young came to rescue her in episode 5 because he loved her?
Writer Song replied, “She probably tried hard to pass it off as a joke because if she just left it hanging, it would be awkward. At least that is how I imagine it.”
51. This person wrote that she thinks the relationship between Choi Young and Hwasooin did not go as originally planned. It seems as if this storyline was entirely dropped. Is there anything that Writer Song regrets about this?
Writer Song replied, “There is a lot. Choi Young- Hwasooin- Chun Eumja. I thought this triangle would be fun but because of this and that, it was discarded.
52. This person wrote that she saw on the drama’s official homepage, the background story of Choi Young and Dae-man’s relationship and why the Woodalchi started to followed the leadership of young Choi Young. She was sad that this story did not appear in the drama. Was it because of lack of time?
Writer Song replied, “Hmm…At first, I planned to put in the back-story in the middle…But I had to quickly put it in the beginning after the first episode was edited and they told me that it wasn’t long enough… But it was eventually made in a different manner…And after that, I didn’t know how to continue it…so I gave up.”
The way I understand it is that Writer Song didn’t originally plan to show the back-story of Choi Young and the Woodalchi in the first episode. Then she wrote it into the script, like we saw in the script for episode one, because after the first episode was edited the production team realized it was shorter than the required hour. But eventually in the end, the episode aired without that full back-story anyway. That really sucks on all levels.
53. Another question about the necklace. Again Writer Song replied, “It’s the first time I saw the necklace.”
54. Another question about how long Choi Young waited, how long Eun-soo was in the past-past, and what the fortune-teller meant about the one year.
Writer Song replied, “Choi Young waited four years. Eun-soo was in the past-past for one year. When she first came to Goryeo, she was there around the same amount of time. So it seems the fortune-teller thought in his own terms that if Eun-soo went ‘outside the door,’ it would be a year.”
So I guess Eun-soo was in Goryeo with Choi Young for about a year although to us, it seemed like only a couple of months. Wow, that is a long time.
55. How was the Choi Young character created?
Writer Song replied, “I set up the character, wrote the dialogue, and provide the situation, but it is the actor that really makes the character. Choi Young is someone Lee Min-ho created. ^^ So please ask this question to Lee Min-ho.”
56. This person wrote that she is curious about the scene in episode 17 when Choi Young was pacing back and forth, telling his aunt that he doesn’t know what he has to. What was his reason?
Writer Song replied, “The situation at that time was…Eun-soo had gone off by to do something by herself and Choi Young couldn’t do work for Gongmin because he had lost his position as captain. This was the first time that Choi Young, who always lived his life protecting someone or something, didn’t have something he had to do.”
57. Was there any character that changed from what you originally planned? Which character did you not get the chance to write about the most?
Writer Song replied, “Ki Chul and his pledge siblings. I don’t think I was able to write one-tenth of what I originally planned for them.”
58. Did the director film everything according to the script or were there scenes that he didn’t even shoot?
Writer Song replied, “ㅠㅠㅠ I will buy lottery tickets. If I win and have money, I will go to the actors and ask them, “Will you shoot one more time?”
59. Will the DVD come out?
Writer Song replied, “I don’t know anything about this. If it does, I want to own a set too.”
60. Now that “Faith” has finished, what do you want to say to the actors?
Writer Song replied, “You’ve worked hard. Thank you. I’m sorry.”
61. What did you truthfully think when you saw an episode that was different from the script’s intention?
Writer Song replied, “I wanted to die.”
62. This person asked if Writer Song expected such a strong reaction from female fans for the scene in which Choi Young wipes his blood off before seeing Eun-soo during his rescue from Ki Chul’s house.
Writer Song replied, “While I was writing that scene, I was deep into Choi Young’s character so unconsciously, I wiped the blood off. I found out later that the reaction to that scene was good because that scene came out in every music video I was introduced too.”
63. This person asked if the writer and director discussed the scenes that were left out from the script.
Writer Song replied, “My script was very late and the situation on the set was difficult.”
64. This person asked if Writer Song will write the things that she couldn’t show in the drama into the book.
Writer Song replied, “I want to!”
65. Which Choi Young was most like Choi Young? Writer Song’s Choi Young or Lee Min-ho’s Choi Young?
Writer Song replied, “The Choi Young I thought about…hmmm, I don’t even remember it anymore. ㅎㅎ”
66. What would Jang Bin’s role have been if he didn’t have to exit the drama?
Writer Song replied, “Jang Bin would have the been the one to suggest to Eun-soo to treat poison with poison.”
This is interesting because what aired was Jang Bin wrote in his notebook that he would not suggest this to Eun-soo. I guess Writer Song had to write Jang Bin’s character in this way to save time and give more gravity to the situation without him actually being there.
67. This person wrote she was so sad about the ending scene because the epilogue that was in the script did not come out. Did Writer Song know? She should have strongly argued to have it put in.
Writer Song replied that she was sad about this too.
68. This person was curious about Eun-soo’s line in episode 16 when she confessed to Jang Bin that her heart just couldn’t love. What were Eun-soo’s feelings then? Did her heart not open not because she knew she had to leave but because the person she will love was Choi Young of Goryeo?
Writer Song replied, “I considered episode 8 and 16 as the episodes when the season changes. So I thought that in episode 16, Eun-soo should properly admit to her feelings. But because the dialogue was incoherent and there was self-division, I screwed this up. I need to study more on how to write precise dialogue.”
What Writer Song means when she writes “season” is the next act in the story. So the first act of the drama was about Choi Young waking up to become a proper warrior again. In episode 8 he does that. I think the second act was about Choi Young starting to love Eun-soo. The final act should have been about Eun-soo’s feelings and story, as Writer Song mentioned in a previous question, so episode 16 would have started that final part with Eun-soo admitting her feelings for Choi Young.
69. Another question about the third relic. Writer Song replied that she answered it already in other questions.
70. Until when did “Faith” film up to?
Writer Song replied, “I think they filmed up to Tuesday. I got a text message after they finished filming. The director and the staff were like zombies. I felt sorry…”
Yeah, I heard the news that they were filming even on the day the final episode was supposed to air. Goodness, the live-shooting system in Korea sucks. I wonder if that is why we got so many flashback scenes, to fill up the time for the scenes that they couldn’t film.
To be continued in Part 5. Yeah, Writer Song answered a lot more than fifty questions.
Screencapping takes up so much time but sometimes it is the perfect excuse to watch more of Lee Min-ho’s face and rewatch Faith. 😀
Oh, have you guys seen this already? Lee Min-ho and Kim Hee-sun with the assistant director. So adorable. See! Lee Min-ho is still such a boy at heart. Can we please get him to play someone his age?